Sunday, February 21, 2016

Pre Op

About one month before my surgery I had to start preparing for the surgery. I had to work on what I ate, my hygiene, and being super cautious of not hurting myself. This process seemed to take forever. It felt like it would never happen. I was having major anxiety and stress because of the risks of the surgery.

The risks were very scary to my parents and I. The possible outcomes were that the surgery could paralyze me, give me an infection, or even die. I had my share of nightmares about all of these issues.

The night before my surgery I had to shower thoroughly and wipe my back with a disinfectant cloth. After 12 p.m. I wasn't allowed to eat or drink anything. That night I probably only got about three hours of sleep.

My day started at 5:00 a.m. I had to be at the Egleston Children's Hospital by 6:30 a.m. to start to prepare for my surgery. After the forty-five minute drive we arrived at the hospital I would spend the next few days in.

As I walked into the cold operation waiting room my heart felt like it was going to explode. I was the first surgery of the day, so there was no one else there. After we filled out all the consent paperwork they took me back into the pre-op room. I remember it was in room number 7.

Before I put on my hospital gown they asked if I was nervous. I was very scared, but I said no because I didn't want to drink the nasty liquid that made you loopy.

Dr. Bruce and I
We waited until five minutes before my scheduled surgery time when they came in to wheel my back to the operating room. It seemed like it took forever until I got back into the operarting room. I was shaking and started to cry a little bit.

They had me get up from my bed and walk through the big doors into the room where my surgeon will slice into me. It looked exactly like this...
I saw my surgeon washing his hands and preparing my hardware for the surgery as I laid on the table for the nurses. After I was positioned very carefully on the table they started hooking me up to all the machines. They put a mask over my head and pumped laughing gas in the mask and I started to finally calm down. When they stuck in my IV port they showed me my screws that were going to go inside of my spine. That is the last thing I remember from before my surgery. This last memory really stands out to me in my mind.

I warn you that my next post will contain graphic images, so read with caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment