Saturday, February 20, 2016

Post Op

My surgery was roughly three hours long. I don't remember much from the first month with having a metal spine. I was on crazy amounts of medications, so I was drugged up most of the time. My family and friends have told me many stories of what happened after my surgery, so the best I can provide is what I've heard from them.

My surgeon was the coolest dude. After they put in my rods and screws, Dr. Bruce took pictures of the inside of me. I am going to include those pictures, so please be aware you will see two very graphic images. 
Dr. Bruce holding the drill.

The metal rods holding my spine straight.

My parents cried when they first saw me. My face was very white and swollen because I was laying on a metal table for three hours. The first day I was in and out almost the whole day. The only thing I remember from that night was the horrible pain I was experiencing. 

Post Op in ICU.
The next morning my nurses put me in a wheelchair and I had to sit up for about thirty minutes. The feeling of sitting up was so weird. I felt like I could fall over at any moment. I didn't feel pain as much this day because I was on so much medication. 
My aunt supporting me through sitting for the first time!

After I sat up for a while I got to lay back down. They took out my catheter and blood drainage tubes. Later this day I was to get up and take my first few steps. It took over ten minutes to get me standing. The feeling was so uncomfortable I threw up every time I got up for three days straight. I thought this would be my life forever. It was really scary and hard to comprehend that I would be in pain for a great deal of time.
Post blood drainage tube.


4 comments:

  1. Glad everything went good I got mine when I was 15 I'm 25 now do you have any way u stop back pain today

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Andreia! So happy that you read my blog. What I do to help with my pain is to take over the counter pain medicine continuously throughout the day. I still experience pain at some point every day. When I sit, run, or walk I will sometimes get discomfort. What I do when I expereice that, is lay down on a flat surface and apply heat or ice. If you have any questions I'd love to answer them or simply just talk about the fusion its self!

      Delete
  2. Hey Bailey, I am due to have surgery sometime next month, but I am scared! My curve is 47 degrees but it has been getting worse ever since I was 16 (I am 25 now), which is why my doctor thinks surgery would be best.. Do you think you are in more pain now after the surgery then you were before the surgery? Are you able to do the things you were able to do before you got surgery? I have moderate back pain now with my curve but I am scared the surgery will make me hurt worse, as I have seen some posts that say they are in more pain. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! The surgery isn't easy ill give you that. The recovery was hard and long but I wouldn't change my mind at all. I still do experience pain every now and then but besides that my pain went down a tremendous amount. If you are unsure about getting the surgery I'd get a second opinion from a orthopedic surgeon. And depending on how much of the spine will be fused, you may still have some mobility. I can do just about everything I could before other than bending and twisting. Please let me know if you have other questions and if you end up getting the surgery!! (:

      Delete